Thursday, September 21, 2006

U of M's Newest Fan!



Okay, so I'm alittle delayed with this post, but I still wanted to share some photos of Barrett in his U of M gear. Last Saturday we watched U of M play Notre Dame (and U of M just slaughtered them by the way!) and we happened to be watching the first half of the game with two Notre Dame fans, so I needed another U of M fan...I recruited Barrett! It took a lot for Ben (he kept covering up the block M on Barrett's outfit), but Barrett wore the outfit for the entire game! :) Ben said later that Barrett peed on the outfit so he changed it...hmmm. Anyway, it was a fun weekend with friends and football.

On another note, I am proud to announce that Ben and I are proud Aunt and Uncle to Louis Richard Smith. Amanda (Ben's sister) had her son on September 18 at Sparrow and he weighed in at 8 lbs. 11 oz. We went up to visit the new parents and son a few days ago and boy is Louis a cute one!! I can't wait for the two boys to play together and become great buddies! :)

And finally, some of you have been asking about me and how I am doing. Every day gets alittle easier (mainly in part because I am healing more and more each day). Barrett has been struggling to sleep at night. It's not that he cries a lot, he's just a noise maker and is very alert at night time. I usually get a 2 hour chunk of sleep from 11:00pm-1:00am and then I am awake from 1:00-4:30am. I then get to sleep again from 4:30am until about 8:30 am (on a good night). So adding that up, I guess I'd say I get about 6 hours of sleep a night, but I must say that it is not good sleep. Last night I put Barrett in his crib for the first time during the 4-8 block and I slept much better. I think it is crib time from now on. Barrett's been sleeping in a bassinet in our bedroom, but he makes so many normal baby noises (grunts a lot!) that we can't sleep that good. We'll see how the crib things goes. Overall, this whole mother thing seems natural to me. I'm kind of surprised by how normal it all feels (I was expecting it to be different for me). There are some things lthat have made me sad though, like how different Ben and my relationship is. Things are great, just different. We are much closer, but we don't get that great cuddle/loving time that we always got before. We try to take advantage of the moments we have together and live them up! I've already told Ben that we need to start having date nights in a few weeks, just so we can enjoy each other more. People always said that having a baby changes everything and it certainly does (but believe me things are better now than they were before....we have made a great little boy!). Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Jocelyn Edin said...

Hey, little B is half Wolverine. There is no denying that! I LOVE seeing him grow up, just in one week. I'll email you a pic of Gwen from the same time. They look alot alike!

I understand about the change in relationship with Ben. Your dynamic changes (and energy levels!). You find yourself with more time together eventually, and making time will help.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update and posting the pic of him in his UM gear...that definitely makes him look even cuter :) I still can't wait to meet him in person. Also, glad to hear you are feeling like a "natural" mother, that is good news. The sleeping thing seems insane though, up for 3 hrs in the middle of the night?!? Geese!!! Big hugs to the family, and congrats on being aunt/uncle! Love, Melissa

Anonymous said...

I love the UM gear, it makes Barrett look even cuter :) I'm so excited to meet him in person soon!! (The weekend where he better be wearing UM clothes!!) I'm glad to hear that you are feeling like a "natural mother," that is good news. The sleeping schedule sounds insane....up for 3 hrs in the middle of the night, Geese!! Also, congrats on being aunt/uncle! Love, Melissa

Anonymous said...

Alright, I'm not retarded, I just thought the first post didn't come up because the screen wouln't displsy the page, and now I see it did work, after I re-wrote the old one :) Sorry for the repeat!!

Monica said...

He's definitely a cutie. If you and Ben need a date night, I'm sure you've got plenty of offers for sitters, but Rex and I would be happy to make a trip home for an evening sometime. Maybe Rex will get the chance to change his first ever diaper...fun stuff.:)

Barrett's little noises are cute, but I can imagine how they would keep you up at night. Sounds like everything's going great, keep up the good work and see you soon!:)

Anonymous said...

Date night? ..will you be needing, oh, I don't know..a babysitter??
Auntie Erica would lovelovelove to spend some time with little B. Call me, I'm so serious!

You definately seem like a natural mother. You have a lot of grace. I can imagine that it's a little scary, though.

I can't help but adore those little grunts. I think it means he's a deep thinker... =)

Anonymous said...

Good Boy Barrett, cover that nasty M up!!!
You know which school is the best.
MSU forerver!!!!!

Love ya,
Aunt Stephanie

Anonymous said...

hey mrs.sptizley! ur baby is so cute! u need to come visit us. everyone always asks mr.sowle when ur gonna come vistit. we all miss u!


from : Deedee :)