Well, as Monica mentioned there is a full moon tonight. I have heard from several people that the full moon can actually cause a woman to go into labor. I looked into it a little more and this is what I found out:
"The theory is that the moon's gravitational pull effects the amniotic fluid in much the same way as it effects the water in the sea, rivers and even the water that's otherwise found in our bodies.
As a woman's body prepares for natural childbirth, the amniotic sac becomes distended so the point where it will easily burst if put under pressure. Under normal circumstances, the pressure of labor contractions bursts the sac. During a full moon, the pressure caused by the moon's effect on the water inside the sac can cause the same things to happen, but without the accompanying contractions.
When this happens, natural childbirth doesn't always move forward and with no other signs of labor present, the obstetrician may decide to induce the birth. During my own study of this phenomenon I found that of 8 women whose births started with the water breaking at full moon, 5 of them had no accompanying contractions." - http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Moons-Effect-on-Natural-Childbirth&id=70253
Yet other references say that this is all a myth and that there is actually no connection between the two (labor and full moon). So I guess that means that we'll just have to wait and see. My next doctor's appointment is tomorrow. I will be completing a stress test and checking to see that the baby is still doing okay. I'm pretty sure that I will set up an induction date tomorrow if I have yet to go into labor. I'll post as soon as I know anything.
8 comments:
I think you should do squats out in the yard at midnight :)
Yes, yes...definately squats in the moonlight.
(but take pictures so we can laugh with you later..)
Ha ha ha...quality idea. :) Maybe make Koda howl at the moon also? Just for added effect and all...Hang in there Britta :)
Kyle and I just cracked up at Joss's comment....and the mental picture :) Once more, good luck....hopefully it will be the last wish of labor luck :) Love, Melissa and Kyle
Hi Britta,
All of us from work were talking about you at our "poetry reading" tonight. We hope that the reason that there is no blog today means that you were kept at the hospital and are having the baby. Please know that we are all thinking of you and wishing for a quick, easy, and healthy birth. Best of luck. We can't wait to see your beautiful little one.
Jackie Fellows
Congrats on your new little addition :) Heard all about it Saturday from A. Maybe that full moon had an effect... I will come by in the next week after you and Ben get settled with little B. Great job MOM! Love Dawn
Alright Britta, I have been very patient waiting for a blog from you since Barrett has arrived. I know you are busy, but I want to hear your side of the story now!! I saw you commented on Monica's and Joss's blog, so now I need an update from you! Of course, you know I am just giving you a hard time. :) But, if you get a chance, I would love your end of the story! Again, Kyle and I want to call/talk but also want to give you time to rest and relax too :) We will probably call this weekend while Ben is home too. Love, Melissa
time for you to post Brit!!!
Post a Comment