Thursday, May 08, 2008

Four Weeks Old Tomorrow


Raina

Lauren and Raina

Lauren

The girls will be 4 weeks old tomorrow! The time has flown by in some ways and then been in a snails pace in other ways. They had a doctor's appointment yesterday and they are growing well. Raina weighed in at 8 lbs. 1 oz. and Lauren weighed in at 7 lbs. 11 oz. They are still very small, but doing well. On good nights they wake up around 2-ish and then again at 5-ish to eat. They are pretty set on their "every three hour" meal. I am primarily breastfeeding with some formula feedings after about 3 meals a day. It seems to work for them (and me). I just can't seem to get enough milk for them throughout the day, so some formula is necessary. I tried to do all bottles on day with pumping in between and I hated it. I don't know how people manage to do the whole bottle thing during the night feedings. More power to you if you can do it, but breastfeeding in the middle of the night is so much easier, in my opinion. Anyway, the girls'' personalities are beginning to really come through now. Raina is very mellow and only cries when she is hungry. She is very curious and often has her eyes open and is looking around the room. She loves tummy time and working on her neck muscles. I also think she enjoys the freedom of not being bundled up. She loves to waves her arms and kick her legs. She has been smiling a lot and has started to show off her adorable dimples! Lauren, on the other had, loves to be swaddled and held as much as possible. She has what I refer to as the "hold me, hold mes". She is happiest being cuddled. She cries a lot more than Raina. Lauren cries with any movement. She cries when she's hungry, but also for no apparent reason. She is more difficult to soothe in these situations. I guess she just wants to make herself known! :) She has adorable little features and very blue eyes. She's started to smile, but only really in her sleep. Both girls have the most beautiful smiles. I can't wait to see them more often!

Jocelyn came to visit yesterday and she is staying for the next few days. She is hepling out with the girls and getting ready for the party. Yesterday after the girls appointment we decided to go out shopping for a bit. It was interesting to say the least. Lauren had to be held most of the time and I tired quickly. We were both able to leave the mall with at least one new cute thing, so we felt pretty good about that. I did have to run out to the car for something though and I left Jocelyn in the store with the girls. I guess someone came up to her and asked her how old the girls were and she told them. They resonded with a "you look GREAT for having 3 week olds!". She did clear this up, but I thought it was hilarious! When I came back into the store Jocelyn was at the register with Raina in the double stroller, Lauren in one hand, and she was paying with the other hand. She was doing the ultimate double (or is it triple) tasking! It was funny!

Today also marks Barrett's 20 month birthday! He is talking more and more every day. He is so much fun to be around. He does struggle with the girls sometimes. We find that we are having to discipline him a lot more often now for hitting the girls. We sit him in time out. Sometimes after he does something that we tell him "no" to he'll put himself in time out. It never lasts long, but I think it is starting to work. He does give the girls kisses and wants to hold them (which we allow with a lot of guidance). I think he's just getting used to the idea of these two new babies, but overall I think he is a great big brother. I love him so much!!!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty girls in pink....so cute!! I had to laugh at Barrett hitting the girls, I know its really not funny but they way you phrased it made me crack up :)

I'm so glad you were able to do some shopping w/Joss, aren't sisters great? Raina and Lauren will always have such a special bond. So sad we have to miss the party this weekend, but can't wait to see you in a month!!! Love, Melissa

Anonymous said...

Britta, I just wanted to tell you that I am always looking at your blog to stay updated. Your family is so beautiful and I wish so much that I could see all of you this weekend, but I have to work. I can't wait to see you all at the wedding. I hope all is well. Take Care,Kate Kundrat