Monday, March 02, 2009

new baby and big babies


Aunt Britta with the new little man

He's just so darn cute

The new momma who just kept saying "I'm so happy"

Proud daddy

A bit tied down at first, but was back with his parents later that night

Ben with his lovely goddaughter, Mykenna

The life jacket was a life saver! Barrett is fearless in water!

The girls taking a break from swimming

Relaxing Lauren

Raina climbed in to the cupboard and Miss Lauren followed

What a busy, busy weekend (and beginning of the week...sorry for the delayed post). Friday night Kate and Matt came over and we chatted and chatted and eventually played some Euchre. It was sooooo nice to visit with them, because it had simply been just too long. I forgot to take pictures, sorry. Then Saturday a bunch of us decided to check out a few hotel rooms in town so that we could use the pool. It was so much fun to get the kids in the water and splash around. It was the first time the girls had been in a pool and they seemed to like it okay (although they were on the bit tired side to begin with). On the other hand, Barrett LOVED it! He would jump of the side of the pool, sometimes without anyone in the water to catch him! The life jacket was necessary, indeed! There was always someone nearby, but I could not believe how fearless he seemed with the water. We'll have to be extra careful this summer.

Later that night, after returning home and putting the kids to bed, I got a phone call from Jocelyn. It was around 11:00pm and she told me that she was having contractions. I couldn't believe it! It was so exciting! We decided to wait another hour and see what happens. Around midnight Jacob called me and told me that they were heading to the hospital. I told him to call me when they got admitted. So needless to say I couldn't sleep. I waited and waited and decided to call Jacob back. It went right to voicemail. I called the hospital and they told me that she had been admitted (this was around 2 am). I decided that I better get on the road, because I had an hour and a half drive. As I was backing out of the driveway Jacob called me. He said something about ruptured membranes, but that is all I heard. The connection was breaking up, so I just told him that I was on my way (I found out later that he was trying to tell me that she was going in for a c-section). The whole drive over there I tried calling Jacob (only to reach his voicemail every time) and I called the hospital and all they kept telling me is that they are not by a phone at this time. Ugh! I was panicing, because I couldn't seem to get any answers or any updates. So I finally arrived at the hospital (longest drive EVER!) around 3:30 am. When I got to the receptionist I asked for Jocelyn and she pulled up the computer screen and all I saw was one heart moniter (yikes...I didn't know what to think) and she said that she needed to call him to see if he wanted to come talk to me (I was unsure who the 'him' was...I think I was tired...she had to tell me that she was talking about Jacob). Jacob came out and all my worried went away when he smiled and told me that the baby was already here! Emmett Mac was born at 2:30 am!!! I went back with Jacob to see Jocelyn, who at this point was in the recovery area, and then proceeded to see Emmett for the first time. He was in the NICU due to the fact that the cord had been wrapped around his neck twice (the reason for the emergency c-section). He was hooked up to an IV and oxygen, but by the time I was there he looked pink and healthy. WHat an amazing thing a new baby is! Anyway, a short time later (around 6 am) I went back to Joss and Jacob's house to sleep for a fwe hours and then I went back to the hospital around 10:30 am. Soon after they visitors started to arrive. Emmett was still in the NICU at this point so people had to go back one at a time to see him. I heard later that Emmett was released from the NICU around 7pm, so he was back wiith his parents for the first night. What a day!

Thank you Jocelyn and Jacob for letting me share in this very special time in your lives. I feel truly honored.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Such sweet pictures! I love reading your side of the birthing story since we didn't get time to talk about in the cold parking lot :) The picture of the girls in their swimsuits is priceless. I can't wait to play w/these kids in the water this summer!!!
-Melissa

Jocelyn Edin said...

You are soooo welcome Brit! My pleasure really. As I said, it was wonderful having you there in the night to talk with and keep me smiling. I love you!

Dawn Cooper said...

Congrats Aunt Britta! 3:30am-that's some serious sisterly dedication! I love it!

I also love the picture of the girls in the cupboards! They are so very cute =) And Barrett, oh boy, you are going to have a serious boy on your hands this summer... it'll be fun though!

Take care! and tell Ben I said hi! Hopefully we'll run into each other soon!
Love, Dawn